Every year there are more than 6 million car accidents that occur on roads and highways of the United States. That’s more than 16,000 car accidents per day.
If you have ever been in a car accident, you know it can be a scary experience, even when you or any other passengers involved are lucky enough not to sustain any major injuries. That’s why it’s important that if you’ve been in an accident that was not your fault to obtain the services of an auto accident attorney, also called a personal injury attorney.
Auto accident attorneys can help you in these 6 ways
1. There are often confusing regulations and laws surrounding car accident liability and claims, and they change from state to state. An attorney is an expert, and they will help you navigate these laws.
2. As difficult as navigating laws can be for novices, so too can having to work with the insurance company. Your attorney will handle any insurance claims and work with the insurance company, so you don’t have to. This includes negotiating with the insurance company to get your hospital bills covered, get any bills for car repairs taken care of, and ensure that you are compensated for any lost wages or necessary ongoing treatment due to the accident.
3. If there is any question of who is at fault for the injury, your attorney will prove the accident’s fault and liability for any injuries you may have sustained during an injury. Your attorney will also help you determine the value of those injuries, as well as the value of any damage done to your vehicle.
4. If necessary, your attorney will file a personal injury lawsuit so that it is ensured that your bills and any ongoing expenses are taken care of because of the accident if it’s not your fault.
5. If you must file a claim for the accident, your attorney will negotiate a fair settlement in the instance of a claim so that all the bills and loss on income related to the accident are covered.
6. Unfortunately, there are times when a car accident can result in catastrophic injuries, such as:
- Physical injuries: Amputation, burns, fractures, and damage to orthopedic function or tissue.
- Spinal cord injuries: Injuries affecting the spinal cord that create permanent mobility issues.
- Cognitive injuries: Injuries that result from brain damage and take away the victim’s ability to work, speak or form memories.
In the case of these injuries, you will need the services of a personal injury attorney who can help you pursue a claim and compensation for the wrongful and life-altering harm that has been done to you. This often includes ensuring you have coverage for ongoing healthcare and living expenses.
Car accidents can be scary for anyone. But, if you have the help of an experienced and knowledgeable attorney, they can help you navigate the situation and make the situation as easy as possible.